The Choir at St Nicholas
Our Choir has been established for many years,. The main purpose of the choir is to lead the congregation in the singing of hymns and other sung parts of the Service. Music is a very important aspect of worship within Church, and helps to bring people closer to God.
At present, we have a good number of singers, but we are always on the look-out for more. We accept applications from everyone, regardless of age or gender. We currently have vacancies for sopranos and altos, but would especially welcome any basses or tenors at this time.
The standard of music at St Nicholas' is improving all the time. Each Sunday the Choir not only leads the congregation in the singing at the 9.30 Service, but also normally sings a responsorial psalm, a short Taize-type chant and an anthem or other musical item.
Church choirs are a unique and rewarding experience for all concerned. This is YOUR opportunity to get involved!
What are we looking for?
A natural singing voice and a responsive ear to musical sounds. From this basic material we can do the rest, providing regular training. Previous singing experience for altos, tenors and basses is ideal, but not essential.
How much time will it take up?
One evening a week for rehearsal, and attending the 9.30 Service on Sunday morning, plus occasional special Services (e.g. the Christmas Carol Service, weddings, etc).
The usual weekly schedule is as follows:
Rehearsal (Juniors) 5.45 - 6.30 pm
Rehearsal (Seniors) 6.30 - 7.30 pm
Arrive at Church by 9.15am for 9.30am Service
- Adult Choir: Whole 9.30-11am Service
- Junior Choir: The boys and girls go out to Sunday Club after the first hymn and return later in the Service to sing the anthem and closing hymn.
It is important to be able to attend regularly both at rehearsal and on Sunday.
What has membership to offer?
- The responsibility and privilege of leading worship in a church with good accoustics.
- Free musical training.
- The enjoyment of music-making and learning music composed from the 15th Century to the present day.
- Being part of a team and developing friendships.
Are you still interested?
If you have any questions we have not answered, or you are interested in finding out more, please get in touch.
If you are not interested but think you know someone who might be, this information is available as a leaflet, please contact anyone mentioned below and ask them for a leaflet, so you can pass it onto the interested person.
The Organist, Clive Harris
or our Junior Choir Leader, Alison Denyer
or our Adult Choir Leader, Ann Del Canto
- A good time to speak to any of the above is after the 9.30 Service on Sunday mornings.
St Nicholas' Church Choir are now looking for new members!
- If you and/or your children are musical ......
- If you enjoy singing ......
how about joining our Choir?
You can be assured of a warm welcome.