The Church of England – Top ten facts
- The Church of England performs about 1,000 marriages a week.
- It conducts about 2,700 baptisms (or christenings) a week.
- More than 1 million people a week attend a Church of England service - about the same number as 10 years ago.
- About 2.5 million people attend church services at Christmas.
- About 1.4 people attend church services at Easter.
- 25% of all primary schools and 1 in 16 secondary schools are Church of England, many in deprived areas.
- Church of England schools educate almost 1 million students.
- Churchgoers contribute 23.2 million hours each month outside their local church to voluntary work in their local community.
- Congregations give £49 million a year to other charities.
- The Church provides activities outside church worship in the local community for 470,000 children and young people (aged under 16 years).
Information from: Chelmsford Diocese